Forgiveness -there's nothing quite like it! I was recently reading Psalm 32 and was taken with the thoughts expressed concerning forgiveness: "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile." (verses 1 & 2)
It certainly is a blessing beyond compare to know and have forgiveness of one's sin[s]. It is a blessing to know that one's sin[s] have been covered, yea cancelled or remitted by God.
Verse 5 - "I acknowledged my sin unto Thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah."
We know that God is holy and cannot overlook sin. He must have a just basis on which to forgive sin. Considering some New Testament scriptures we know:
1. Jesus Christ is [eternally] God the Son (John 1:1-3; Heb.1; etc) who became man (John1 :14; Phil.2:5-9; etc).
2. An overriding purpose for His becoming man was to be the Savior of man, which necessitated His death at Calvary (Phil.2:8; Heb.2; John 1:29; etc).
3. Jesus Christ died as both a sacrifice for sin[s] (1Cor.15:3; 2Cor.5:21; 1Pet.2:24; etc) and as a substitute for us (Heb.2:9; 2Cor.5:21; etc).
4. God has always viewed Jesus' death (both aspects from #3) and shed blood as the basis on which He can and does forgive sin (1Pet.1:20; Rev.13:8 [end of]; Heb.9:13-14, 22; Heb.10:1-10; etc).
5. God promises to forgive (completely) the sin[s] of those who humbly confess and repent before Him, trusting solely in the finished work [His death and shed blood] of Jesus Christ on the cross as the just [and only] basis on which God extends forgiveness (Rom.3:21-28; Eph.2:8-9; Mark 1:15; etc).
Do you know and have this forgiveness? There is nothing quite like it!!!
Worship with us: